The Sea Survival training centre will form the basis of Goldwind's offshore safety training programme going forward and the company expects to award substantial numbers of GWO certificates when it begins operation.
GWO member Goldwind has unveiled its new training centre at a ceremony in Yancheng City, Jiangsu Province.
The Sea Survival training centre will form the basis of the turbine manufacturer’s offshore safety training programme going forward and the company expects to award substantial numbers of GWO certificates when it begins operation.
Global Wind Organisation CEO Jakob Lau Holst opened the site at the ceremony on 10th November.
He explained about the importance of spreading safety standards worldwide: “Our GWO family of training centers has trained about 70,000 technicians to date, or less than 10% of the global workforce. While 70,000 technicians is a lot of people, for the remaining 90%, we just don’t know. That is not satisfactory from the health and safety point of view.
“When Goldwind and other members of GWO agree to standardize, it provides us with a way of knowing.
“We want the public to know us as an industry that takes care. Our members are demonstrating this fact by training their staff to work to a global safety standard that everyone can rely on.”
October 4th will be a special day as our community of safety and training in wind energy gathers in person for an all-new event in Copenhagen.
Throughout the global COVID-19 pandemic, the GWO Audit & Compliance committee has issued advisory notes communicating agreed advice, guidance and exemptions from our regular governance (requirements and standards).
Global Wind Organisation (GWO) and the Global Wind Energy Council (GWEC) have signed a two-year partnership agreement to highlight the importance of safety, training and job creation to power wind energy development and the global energy transition. The wind energy industry is a major opportunity for countries to create high-skilled, local jobs to boost economic growth and reach their Paris Agreement goals.
The taxonomy establishes a transparent and coherent framework to describe safety training characteristics, allowing for a better understanding of “what good training looks like”.
The modules are reviewed in response to feedback from GWO members and 2020 workplace data from G+ which places manual handling incidents in the top three most reported injury processes.